Learn a bit more about the law

May 15, 2012   Posted by: Margarita Smirnova

H1b visa and travel clarification

For those who are in the U.S. under the H1b visa, commonly known as work visa, please be aware that even if you have H1b visa it may be expired and you are still legally in the country. However, this form not a visa and may not be used in place of visa. It means that your stay can be prolonged with applying for I-94 with I-129 petition for a nonimmigrant worker. If you stay, you are fine. You may leave too. However, to return you must have a valid visa to re-enter.

H1b visa is explained in details on USCIS website and traveling details are readily available on State.Gov/travel.

The contents of this and future articles is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice. Each individual case is different and the outcome of your case depends upon its circumstances.


Written by Margarita Smirnova, Esq.

If you have a specific question relating to your business, please contact

Call: (617)398-7482


Print Friendly
About the author

Margarita Smirnova - Contact the Author, Attorney Margarita Smirnova, at 617-875-8663 or email to for an introductory strategic legal consultation to discuss your legal issue. Professional Profile on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>